Monday, January 02, 2006

Not Just Another New Year's Resolution

Every year the same typical New Year's resolutions come up: lose weight, eat better, exercise more, work less, etc. Most of the time, these resolutions start well, but quickly deteriorate into nothing. Know why? Because they are boring and not specific enough.

In order to really be motivated to change, one must set very specific goals. For example, instead of just saying, "I'm going to lose weight," set a specific amount, like 5 pounds. It's a small goal that can be easily accomplished so that one feels successful and will, thus, be more likely to continue.

But this is not really my point. My point is that I'm tired of making the same old resolutions. So, this year, I have not just one, but several, and they are all very specific.

1) To fall in love with my body - no matter how "curvy" it becomes

2) To eat at least 1 serving of vegetables a day

3) To keep up with Brad mountain biking and beat him at tennis

4) To not always think the worst, but the best

5) To not let stress get the better of my temper

6) To find more girl friends to hang out with

7) To attend church regulary

8) To finish at least 5 chapters of my latest beginning of a novel

9) To have meaningful contact with my current scattered friends at least once a week

10) To be the decisive, strong, independent woman I was 3 years ago

Happy New Year's!

4 Comments:

At 8:52 PM , Blogger amber said...

Good luck with your resolutions, Heather! They all sound very well thought-out :0)

However, may I suggest on the last one that you not be so hard on yourself...:0) You ARE a strong, wonderful woman with a great heart and though you may have had some bumps and bruises along the way--they make you who you are...an even stronger, better woman that we all know and love.

May you have an absolutely wonderful 2006!

 
At 6:18 AM , Blogger Andrew said...

Happy New Year - May 2006 be your best year ever.

 
At 9:13 AM , Blogger Meg said...

JUST ONE VEGGITABLE! Come on, I've got docs telling me to aim for NINE, in one day!

 
At 6:07 AM , Blogger Heather said...

Baby steps, Meg. Baby steps. =)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home