Monday, January 16, 2006

What's Love Got To Do With It?

As a teenager, if I saw my parents holding hands or sitting on the couch all cuddled up, I was completely grossed out. Now, I see my parents cuddling or looking at each other in complete adoration, and I have envy. I am amazed at how they still love each other so much after so long.

I'm finding that love, or loving in a relationship, is a lot of work. The ooey-gooey, "You're so wonderful stage" is way past for me. Yes, I love my fiance, but sometimes actually being with him is terribly difficult. He can grate on my nerves like no one else. I find that line between love and hate can be be VERY thin at times. Then again, if I cared only half as much about him, I'd only be irritated half as much. Why is it we can forgive and forget a lot easier with a friend than a lover? I just don't get it rationally, but it's true to me emotionally.

Do all relationships go through this phase of, "I love you/I hate you?"

I really miss the ooey-gooey stage. So many things have contributed to its departure. How do I get it back? Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

At 6:43 AM , Blogger Andrew said...

Heather- First of all I am envious that you have a relationship that has gotten this far-- I have yet to accomplish this milestone. I think that there are days that we are not star-struck and in love with our life partner/ husband/ or wife. For me the test is - after all is said and done- the hate and annoyances are put aside- is this the one I want to cuddle up with at the end of the day and kiss goodnight... if your answer is no... then perhaps it is not "The One."

Take care-

 
At 9:09 AM , Blogger Meg said...

gotta say, we still spend a lot more of our time on the relationship gauge closer to ooie goooie than hate. Mildly annoyed and pleasently pleasesed tends to be where we tread.

 
At 9:17 AM , Blogger amber said...

Relationships are so complicated, huh?

My mamma always said...(;))to never marry someone you can live with. Marry someone you can't live without.

Those relationships are hard to come by, and can be painful as well as rewarding. No matter what, they are a lot of work.

These are my suggestions:
Step one: Buy the Over the Rhine CD "Drunkard's Prayer." (www.overtherhine.com to buy it; http://www.lookingcloser.org/music/drunkardsprayer.htm to read the story behind it). It's so romantic, and it's by a couple who hit rock bottom & decided to make their marriage work. The CD is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

Two: When the CD comes in, spend all day cooking an amazing meal and decorating your apartment in rose petals and candles, and a bottle of good wine.

Three: Put on his favorite (on you) perfume, your highest heels, your silkiest hose, your favorite dress, and invite him over for that candlelight dinner while listening to the CD.

If that doesn't do it... well, it will :0)

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger Heather said...

Thanks for all the advice, guys!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home