Thursday, January 19, 2006

Psychology 101

The human brain and how it functions is fascinating. It's amazing how a person can think so many things either simultaneously or in a rapid series.

Tuesday morning I got my acceptance letter for the PhD program at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland. Same day, Brad left for Connecticut to attend his grandfather's funeral. Same day, I finalized a place for Brad and my wedding ceremony and reception. Same day, my mom shocked the life out of me by being excited at the prospect of me moving to a foreign country across the ocean for three years. Same day - had my first truly intense desire to sit down and work on my novel in, like, forever. Same day, Brad actually proved he had heard something I told him and put my wants ahead of his by sneaking roses (a flower he particularily dislikes but I do) into my apartment in congratulations of my good news.

I had so much on my mind personally that day, work was a total flop! I was a little like Mr. Bean: well-intentioned, but not altogether with it.

Last night I spent almost 3 hours at Barnes & Noble looking for both information on scholarship money that's available out there and information just on Scotland and the way of life there. I couldn't stop thinking and when I finally brought my head up from the books I was looking at, I swear I must have gone cross-eyed. I wasn't really overloaded, just so concentrated. I haven't gone after anything with this kind of dedication in awhile.

Here's where I need psychology 101: why is it that when a heretofore apathetic person suddenly becomes motivated, their brain goes overboard and won't shut off? Is it just excited to be used again like a car battery revs into life after a jump, or is it more like a damn that has previously been closed finally being allowed to open? What makes the brain stop or stall in the first place?

Fascinating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home